T HE FERRIS FUNERAL HOME
The present day Ferris Funeral Home can trace a continuous funeral service business back to the 1880's operated by H.H. Hoffman, Furniture Dealer and Funeral Director. In 1918 Mr. Hoffman's business was purchased by Wallace W. Walsh. In 1920, Mr. Walsh purchased the business of E. F. Best, Furniture Dealer and Funeral Director and amalgamated the two businesses. Mr. Walsh operated the furniture, funeral and ambulance business from his furniture store at the corner of Norfolk and Argyle Sts. in Simcoe. In 1937, Mr. Walsh purchased the Farrar property, a private residence at 214 Norfolk St., S. and operated the funeral home until his death in 1944. He was then succeeded by his son Floyd W. Walsh who operated the funeral home until 1949. At that time he sold the business to Marvyn M. Veale who operated until his retirement in 1984. In 1979, David W. Ferris purchased a partnership with Mr. Veale and purchased the remainder in 1984. In 1986, the funeral home underwent a major redecoration and in 1994, The Ferris Funeral Home embarked on an ambitious rebuilding and expansion project to accommodate the largest of funerals. Visitation rooms can also be downsized for a more intimate environment. In 1988, The Ferris Funeral Home became a member of National Selected Morticians (now Selected Independent Funeral Homes), an international fraternity of independent funeral directors whose professional and ethical admission standards are the highest in the world and membership is by invitation only. To retain membership, SIFH firms have a responsibility to follow the "SIFH Code of Good Funeral Practise". A copy is available upon request. In 2009 and 2010 the outside of the building underwent an extensive facelift along with new signage. New modern up to date lighting was installed in all the main visitation rooms and plans are underway for more changes in the near future.